Sunday, December 21, 2008

"Writing on Stone" by Jake


Huge rocky monoliths rise up in the distance as I scramble out of the undergrowth and see for the first time the new world I have stepped into. I see my friends as they climb up towering sandstone spires, and I sprint toward them, racing through an infinite maze of sedimentary rock. Climbing past the coarse stone I notice miniscule specks of rustic fossil, relics of a bygone age. My friends leap from stone to stone, while I take a safer more traveled route, afraid to take the risk of falling. In the sky I see the brilliantly glowing sun, a sparkling gemstone, filling the world with radiant light. Suddenly I find myself at the top of the biggest boulder yet. Stretching out in all directions I see the prehistoric landscape, unchanged by the years. It is a retreat from life; a place where the past can enter the present.

2 comments:

  1. great writing, Jake! Is this an actual experience you're retelling? If so, I want to go where you went! Compelling story. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jake:

    You have a great gift for writing. Keep it up, and be sure to give us an autographed copy of your first book so I can sell it on eBay and buy some good fishing gear! (I'm just kidding about that last part, but not about the first.) Thanks for sharing.

    Love,
    Uncle Tim

    ReplyDelete